[RTTY] 300hz or 500hz IF filter?

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Sat Aug 24 13:41:36 EDT 2013

On Aug 24, 2013, at 10:06 AM, Bill Turner wrote:

> I can accept that, as well as 98% or 98.5% or practically anything in that
> area, but that's not what you originally said.

Ah, the crux is this Bill.

If you use 98%, you may get a bandwidth number of, say 1000 Hz.

And if you use a 99% number, you may get 1001 Hz.

And if you use a 99.9% number, you may get 1001.1 Hz.

And if you use a 99.99% number, you may get 1001.11 Hz.

et cetra, et cetra.

The key is that for any physical signal, that set of bandwidth numbers forms a convergent series -- it converges to a finite number -- just as Achilles catches the Hare in the end, in Greek mythology.

73
Chen, W7AY