[RTTY] RM-11708, the "other side"

Kai k.siwiak at ieee.org
Wed Dec 11 12:02:31 EST 2013

Bill
This one is in the "let's get serious" category. I've handled several thousand
of pieces of
message traffic by voice in ONE of our hurricane emergencies in Florida.
I mean voice messages *copied by hand, with re-reads for clarity*. There are
serious safety
of life issues!
I do not recommend voice. Digital would be faster, more accurate, and can be
archived for
resolving continuing emergency and field-hospital issues. At the time reliable
digital was simply
not available.

If you want to try what "copyby hand" feels like, I urge you to enter your next
RTTY contest
using just a hand written log. I think you'll get the idea pretty quickly.

But, I'm sure you really did not mean "use voice" for messages in a real
emergency seriously.

73
Kai, KE4PT