[RTTY] RM-11708, the "other side"

Phil Sussman psussman at pactor.com
Wed Dec 11 16:21:28 EST 2013

I have some mixed feelings about this whole "emergency" process.
Overall, there is a difference between symbol rate and the justification
based upon emergnecy use in the HF ham bands.

Joe makes a valid point that EXISTING - NON-EMERGENCY auto operation
has a plethra of problems, from out-of-band operation to lack of
effective monitoring of existing QSOs. And questionable content as well.

Does one really have anything to do with the other? I think not.
Can it be said that symbol rate can be ignored in an emergency?
Would operation of P4 in an emergency be legal anyway, by virtue
of the "anything goes in an emergency" rule?"

Justification of "we need it (P3/P4) for emergencies" just doesn't hold
water. Aren't true emergencies 'self-justifying'? All you need to do is
document the emergency operation.

Just my thought!

73 de Phil - N8PS

-----