[RTTY] RM-11708, the "other side"

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at wildblue.net
Thu Dec 12 00:04:12 EST 2013

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 17:58:41 -0800, you wrote:

>Well, Bill, you would be wrong.  Just give the Combined Fire Chiefs of
>Spokane County a call and see why they pay for the EWARG (Eastern WA
>Amateur Radio Group) lease year after year.

REPLY:

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  If your local emergency services
technology is not up to snuff, work to get it improved. Don't try to "fix"
it with amateur radio. Get the cops and firefighters the radios and whatever
equipment they need. Leave the emergency stuff to the professionals wherever
possible.

Having said that however, the good guys can't be everywhere all the time and
there will be times when amateur radio can fill the gap, especially in the
first few seconds and minutes of a real emergency. For those occasions, try
to be as prepared as possible.

73, Bill W6WRT