[RTTY] ARRL RM-11708 Letter and response

Kai k.siwiak at ieee.org
Fri Dec 27 17:18:55 EST 2013

I echo Ben's "thank you" to all commenting hams. There are well over 800
comments, that's more than 0.1% of all US hams. That right there sends the clear
message to the Commission that Amateur Radio is alive and well! I can remember
only one other proceeding that attracted more comments (that was 1000+ comments
in the Ultra-wideband (UWB) proceeding that resulted in creation of subpart F of
Part 15 - and all of radio survived!).

I've read many of the comments, and while the vast majority are of a popularity
contest  "I like it" or "I hate it" nature, there are a fair number of
well-reasoned comments on all sides of the issue. Some of the experimenters,
Amateur-RTTY ops, and digital ops had very well reasoned comments.  I guess we
now await the pleasure of the FCC who have a pretty big job ahead of them.

Ben, we may be on opposing sides of this one, but like in the UWB proceeding,
I'm sure that amateur radio will thrive no matter the outcome of RM-11708.

Happy New Year to all and to all 73,

Kai, KE4PT