[RTTY] Formatting your CQ call for detection by the RTTY skimmer, RCKskimmer

Wes Cosand wz7i at arrl.net
Tue Feb 5 07:00:55 EST 2013

> Do I make my MACRO  "CQ TEST K7QQ"   OR  do I make it  " CQ TEST K7QQ " AND
> do I need to put the brackets at the end ??
>
> I think I see the space at the end but not at the front ??
>
> Rex K7QQ

Hi Rex

Your second macro would work just fine but it could be shorter by
omitting the space before CQ.  You only need the space after the
keyword (TEST, QRZ, or CQ) and after your  call letters.  And no, you
do not need the " " marks.

Most operators do not need to make any change to their macro to have a
good chance of being spotted.  Adding an additional space at the end
of the line is most critical for those who use the form

"K7QQ K7QQ K7QQ CQ"

 with no space after the CQ.  That won't be spotted.

The big problem is how to distinguish the station calling CQ from the
answering station.  It is a tough problem and Walter has done a good
job.

An easy way to see if my receivers are picking you up is to go to

http://www.reversebeacon.net/srch.php

and search on your call.  Your CW call certainly is spotted a lot by
me and everybody else... chuckle.

Have fun this weekend, Rex.

Wes, WZ7I