[RTTY] WPX suggestion

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 14:58:40 EST 2013

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 10:22:16 -0800, you wrote:

> Given the structure of your exchange,
>the probability of an error occurring at any other position other
>than the dash (or figs) is much higher than at the dash (or figs) themselves.

REPLY:
That's quite true, but a single error on a non-dash or non-figs character
only garbles that single character. An error on a dash or figs character
garbles everything that follows it until USOS detects another space.

Granted, using spaces takes longer but requesting and getting a repeat
takes MUCH longer, IMO. The whole point of USOS and spaces is to avoid
repeats. With USOS and spaces your chances of getting it right the first
time are a lot better.

And this ties in with your comment about sending the exchange three times
instead of two. I have thought about that a lot as well. Ironically, the
longer the information, the more times you should send it. That's one
reason why I send my call, W6WRT three times instead of only two. That
extra character vs a 1x2 or 2x1 call increases the chance of a garble. If I
were truly a serious contester I would get a shorter call. Not only does it
take less time to send, it is less prone to error. But I like having my
initials as my suffix.

Everything is a trade off.  :-)

Bill, W6WRT