[RTTY] Slow RTTY - some more

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Feb 11 14:58:29 EST 2013

> Now on the subject of slow, or odd sounding RTTY, I can confirm that
> if you use a microHam router with MMTTY, and you have Strict BPS
> enabled, the resulting sent stream of text is much slower than
> usual.

That was true in the past but so much with the new version of microHAM
Router and more recent Eltima VSPAX code.  I just timed a 130 character
string ("<CR><LF>DE W4TV W4TV W4TV W4TV " x 5) from MMTTY - the message
was about three seconds longer with Strict BPS enabled vs. Strict BPS
disabled.  The timing was done with only a digital clock but "by ear"
there was very little change in the "sound".

> The awful RTTY produced by (some) K3 owners using paddles to send is
> quite often very poor, and I have found that MMTTY doesn't always
> decode it.

MMTTY has a problem because of the lack of regularity - the "variable
length stop bit" - when a character isn't ready to be sent.  I have
already talked with the K3 developer adding diddle to fix the stutter.

> During his first calls, the RTTY tones sounded distorted, and I had
> no  clear print at all.

There is no more reason for the "tones" from a K3 to be distorted when
using paddles for input than for distortion with any other FSK rig.
The difference in the K3 will be the "Long mark" between characters
if the user can't send CW at >60 WPM.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV