[RTTY] Dash vs space, more beat this to death

Richard Ferch ve3iay at storm.ca
Mon Feb 11 15:25:55 EST 2013

WA3ERP wrote:

> I think that this is incorrect.  As I remember, USOS is enabled on the
> receiver's end and adds the extra LTRS on space.  I don't believe that the
> transmitting station sends a LTRS character along with each SPACE character
> that it detects.  This is a carryover from the mechanical teleprinter age when
> USOS was enabled in Teletype and other similar machines.  Does anyone have a
> counter to this claim?

I do. It's in the MMTTY Help file, which most of you have a copy of. Do
a search for UOS in the Help file, and in addition to the UOS button on
the MMTTY main window, which controls USOS at the receive end, you will
also find a UOS setting in the TX Tab section of the MMTTY Setup window.
This one can be used to turn on USOS during transmitting.

So with MMTTY you have your choice: No USOS, USOS only on receive, USOS
only on transmit, or both.

73,
Rich VE3KI