[RTTY] spaces, dashes, and everything

Kevin H. Phillips kh-phillips at 9-5usa.org
Tue Feb 12 08:07:43 EST 2013

On 2/11/2013 9:17 PM, Jeff Stai wrote:
> - I also noticed more people are echoing back MY serial number - usually
> before they send their serial number (but I did see one or two send my SN
> as part of the TU). This seems like a bad idea to me because when receiving
> is difficult I am looking for any numbers that make sense, and adding extra
> numbers to the mix would only seem to confuse. I personally would urge
> folks to not echo back my exchange but maybe there's a good reason to do so
> I'm not thinking of...?

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about but I have
experienced stations replying to me saying "CFM (or QSL) <my serial
number>".  If I do not likewise reply "CFM/QSL <the number they send>"
then they repeat sending their exchange until I reply "CFM/QSL" or
similar.  At first it seemed excessive but the more I think about it the
more it grows on me.  I wonder if it is not a good way of insuring
accuracy in both logs and sealing an ironclad QSO; perhaps reducing
calls for repeats (?).     Several years ago I helped take turns
operating SSB with a local club's Field Day operation.  The standard
practice (then, at least) seemed to be "QSL your <ARRL Section, serial
number, etc.>.  Please copy our <ARRL Section, serial, etc.>".  To which
the other station would QSL or similar.  I don't know if they are still
doing that, though.  I don't seem to be blessed with good propagation at
my QTH so I experience quite a bit of QSB, QRM, or other conditions that
make copy difficult.  So many people anxious to move on to the next
contact never allow time for me to ask for repeats, or don't reply to my
requests for repeats,  so I am frequently not very confident in contacts.

73
Kevin
W5TTY