[RTTY] AA5AU Contest Notes for 2013 WPX RTTY Contest

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Fri Feb 15 16:16:20 EST 2013

All of the N1MM Logger functionality for SO2R requires both radios to be on
one PC.  There is no provision for SO2R with networked PCs.

A work-around is to setup the entry category for Multi-One and then change
it back to Single-Op just before creating the Cabrillo file.  (Or, simply
edit the CATEGORY-OPERATOR: line from MULTI-OP to SINGLE-OP.)  In the
Multi-Op Options menu, set up the interlock.

The work-around does functionally work, although you have none of the SO2R
functions.  However, most SO2R functions are there to make it work on one
PC.  The main feature missing in the Multi-One configuration is dueling-CQs,
but that is not a big deal in my mind.

I found that the interlock is very slow and 2-3 characters overlap
transmission from both radios.  OTOH, no software interlocks can guarantee
the absence of two signals, if even for milli-seconds, so the operator is
responsible via a hardware interlock to not transmit simultaneously.

I also found that the serial number server in N1MM Logger manages to
accumulate less of a gap between serial number and actual QSO count
(including dupes).  Again, though, this is not a big deal anyway, because
the contest organizers don't care that serial numbers exactly represent
actual QSO count.  But, we should attempt get them close.

Ed P49X (W0YK)