[RTTY] 2Tone vs. MMTTY - webpage FINAL

iw1ayd - Salvatore Irato iw1ayd at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 04:51:46 EST 2013

Things are becoming really interesting, since the 2Tone introduction.
Well as somebody would say, it not the sliced bread, but: anyway it move!

I would add one more personal observation. Since I use 2Tone from months
ago I had the opportunity to test myself with it during the 2012 JARTS
and WAE. Right now 2Tone is running companion with MMTTY. This last is
used as the master window for the FSK TXing purposes since then. In a
real world speaking I will use the two altogether anyway with the N1MM
Logger.
Well, I observed in JARTS and then in WAE that those JA's that come here
in JN35 at ours early night on 40m, sometime well before W's, are
perfectly copyable even if surrounded by CW beacons and PSK emissions.
What I mean is that as by design 2Tone works decoding much better than
MMTTY, even with ATC, when RTTY signals are, even if in tight 250/300 Hz
MF filters, overcomed by thinnest (<50~70 Hz ???) amplitude variable
carriers. Both in audio and visibly, still empirically/
There was, if I remember during the JARTS, also somebody with a steady
carrier moving slowly from Mark to Space tone posts. By slowly I mean
that over some exchanges Qs the carries moved trough my Mark Space wide
window.
Well, no one QSO with JA's was affected by those carriers, I was able
around 7.041 KHz to get rid of all the mess that was there. It could be
that there, from my JA's correspondents side, the mess was not so weird.
But anyway thanks to all those friends that exchanged theirs calls with
mine. I was driving down the audio and just looking at the decode
windows. 2Tone steadily decoded all, MMTTY quite nothing. But this is
just a case.
I have used the MK2R+ as it was then a SO2R effort by me. No great
dynamic range but quite enough I think. N1MM Logger was used in a single
box. Don it's a matter of personal choice, as you already suggested.

In the last WPX, it was clear to all the bunch of operators here that
2Tone is much more than the right complement for MMTTY. Exchanges
printout clean having the two or three completed within the two windows.
Just change the old habits and look at TWO windows, not one. This even
with all the fiddling needed when the LTRS-FIGS switch was lost
alternatively on one or the other windows, if not on both. Great time.
Strangely it happened much more in this WPX than before, but there are a
lot of things that change together each time, like in complex algebra.
BTW the radios wheres always the same, mine HI.

Even if my video displays, or those at IQ1RY,  doesn't have too much
real estate 2Tone gained it's place nearby MMTTY.

Thanks Don and Fabi all to all others who tested this good stuff much
more thoroughly than me.
I already  thanked David, the 2Tone  author, for the efforts to made the
right stuff and share it with us. But one more time is better: TU David!
... Anyway David if you get some spare time, what about a log facility
like MMTTY inside 2Tone? ;->

                 73 de iw1ayd Salvo