[RTTY] QRV during NAQP?

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Sat Feb 23 20:33:25 EST 2013

No.  Assisted rules have to do with one station identifying the frequency
and callsign of ANOTHER station.

When WK6I announces another band/frequency that he, WK6I, is QSYing to, he
is simply communicating (via a frequency allowed in the contest and during
the contest period) where WK6I is going to be.  This has nothing to do with
another station.  This is common and fully legal practice in all contests
and primarily used for moving a multiplier to another band.  It's done on
CW, SSB and RTTY.  It's done in all contests.  Every contest allows this.

A similar practice that is in the Assisted category would be if WK6I were
announcing that VY1JA is on 21084.  Key difference because the announcement
is about another station.  You may not agree.  You may feel these are the
same case and both fall in the Assisted category.  But the simple fact is
that every contest sponsor administers their rules the way I've described.
Moreover, this has been the norm for decades, ever since Assisted became a
separate category.

Ed W0YK