[RTTY] NAQP 2013 score summary

Lee Roberts ham at n0sq.us
Sun Feb 24 19:04:03 EST 2013

         3.5      43      43   25    0
           7      41      41   24    1
          14      63      63   28    0
          21      39      39   22    1
          28       1      1    1    0
       Total     187     187  100    2

            Score : 19,074
              Rig : TS2000

         Antennas : TA-33SR, 40m and 80m dipoles (homebrew)

         Software: N1MM/MMTTY/WinXP running in VirtualBox on Linux host

          Soapbox : It took some time to learn how to use the N1MM/MMTTY combo but I guess I didn't do too bad in the contest. I operated for 8 hours. But, I need to set something up so that I know when the contest ends - time flies when you're having fun. Anyway, it seems that the AFC function doesn't always help. I'm not sure if that's why I had difficulty figuring out if someone was replying to me or to someone else since I believe that by the time the AFC kicked in the callsign didn't display. Part of the problem is that some people believe in short exchanges so they modified the default exchange to drop the callsign at the end of the transmission (i.e. they sent the format <N0SQ whoever-state> instead of <N0SQ whoever-state N0SQ>). Also, tuning was sharper than I'm used to and it seemed like the software tuning displays couldn't keep up with rapid tuning - I felt that it was easier to tune in a signal with my old Kam. At least I remembered to leave the amp turned off this time.