[RTTY] US call signs (BARTG)

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Jan 8 17:04:54 EST 2013

> Perhaps it would have been far better in the US if a W6xx ( perhaps
> a vanity call ) was the ONLY licence with W?xx. Then, when W6xx moved
> to Fla, all he would have to do is sign W4xx. Simples!

Let's see ... UK with 58,500 +/- total licenses has three ITU callsign
blocks (2E, G, M).  US with 680,000 +/- total licenses has three and
one half (K, N, W and AA-AL) callsign blocks.  To be able to reserve
a two or three character suffix across all prefixes (BTW, does that
work if I move to KH6 or KP2?), the US would need *ALL* of the full
callsign blocks.

As a matter of fact ... *ignoring the numeral*, all of the possible
1x2 and 1x3 calls signs would not cover 10% of the US licensees.  Add
all of the possible 2x2 calls and you're still less than 35% of the
US amateur population.  The *British* system would not work in the US.
Time for BARTG to stop trying to dictate licensing policy to the US
- *period*.

Perhaps amateur licenses should become a state matter and each US
state could have a full callsign block (or two or three) like some
of the areas in Europe that are smaller than counties in the US.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV