[RTTY] RTTY Now trashy signals

Mark n2qt at verizon.net
Wed Jan 9 12:29:00 EST 2013

Several years ago the cw guys went through this same thing with key clicks. As you may recall the popular ft1000 was a particular offender.

So what happened

A hardware fix was identified and most operators made the fix to their rigs as specified by w8ji or Inrad.

QST starting doing spectral plots of the cw keying waveform in their equipment reviews.

Finally manufacturers starting designing radios to have cleaner keying spectra.

The rtty issue is more involved since it is not strictly a hardware issue but can also depend on the software used to generate afsk (and how well the radio is adjusted). Still this is an example of how this can be made better.

Mark. N2QT