[RTTY] RTTY spectrum analysis article

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 10:46:54 EST 2013

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 07:31:36 -0800, W7RY wrote:

>I use 250 Hz crystal filters in my IC751A in bot the 9MHz and 455 KHz IF. I
>use 250 Hz DSP filters in my IC-7600 ALL the time.
>Works perfectly.

REPLY:
Interesting. For years I used 250 Hz filtering in my IC-765Pro3, so
when I got my new IC-7600 I set it the same way. The reception seemed
pretty poor, so on a hunch I widened it out to 300 Hz and things
returned to normal. Not sure whether the actual bandwidth was
different or if the skirts on the '7600 were too steep. Anyway, 300
works fine.

I have also noticed that sometimes on weak signals, widening it out
even more to 500 Hz helps a tiny bit, but that's now usually practical
during a contest so I do it mostly when DXing. Something to experiment
with, though.

Bill, W6WRT