[RTTY] RTTY spectrum analysis article

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Jan 15 14:46:16 EST 2013

> It looks like several radios have built-in "sound cards" that are
> available by a USB connection. In principle this should be
> essentially the same thing as the Flex flex is doing--no analog audio
> line to the radio. I have no idea what the interface is like, what
> the quality is, or to what extent you can mess it up, but a bit of
> internet searching and browsing through manuals indicates that this
> is something that people really haven't looked into very much, even
> in the world of PSK31 and other digimodes.

The USB "sound cards" in the current crop of rigs are nothing more than
a standard USB CODEC like one would find in any external USB sound card
fed into the balanced modulator.  Some rigs use a switch to select the
mic "chain" or USB sound card, others simply parallel the two inputs
with nothing more than a pair of "summing" resistors.

Using an internal USB sound card is certainly *not* an "add digital"
solution.  It is just as important with the built-in sound cards as
with the external interfaces to use good proactive to keep drive
levels to the proper level and avoid external sources of common mode
RF/hum/etc.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV