[RTTY] The Problem with AFSK ...

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat Jan 19 13:51:27 EST 2013

On 1/19/2013 1:25 PM, Gedking at aol.com wrote:
 > No compression and watch the ALC to much drive is a no no.

Doesn't mean a thing if the level going into the mic jack is
already too high for the microphone preamplifier.  Most rigs
that use dynamic mics (Kenwood, Yaesu, Ten-Tec) will clip in
the mic preamp if they get much more than 10 mV peak.  The
stock dynamic mics are generally 2 to 3 mV.  When they get
hit with the 4V P-P (or more) output of a sound card, the mic
preamps are very good harmonic generators.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV