[RTTY] The Problem with AFSK ...

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat Jan 19 15:20:20 EST 2013

 > This is why I always advised against using the mic input for AFSK.
 > By the time you saturate the mic pre-amp, it is game over.  You are
 > most likely to present a non-symmetrical signal to the balanced
 > modulator, and we know what that does.

Unfortunately West Mountain Radio and Signalink both do exactly this by
default.  For example - Signalink cables:
   SLUSB4R - For 4-Pin Round Mic Connector
   SLUSB8R - For 8-Pin Round Mic Connector
   SLUSBRJ1 - For RJ-11 Mic Connector
   SLUSBRJ4 - For RJ-45 Mic Connector
   SLUSBKX3 - For the Elecraft KX3's Mic and Phones jacks
Yes, they also have them for the DATA/PACKET/LINE/etc. jacks but
they're "down the list".  WMR does not even offer cables for the
"Line" jacks.  Those two are not alone, look at the information
on the internet from folks with their "interface kits" almost all
of them simply show connections to the mic connector and headphone
jack.  Even Icom presents a mic jack option in their Instruction
Manuals.

 > Like I have personally discussed with a few folks, the problem with
 > FSK keyclicks is that we have to wait for the manufacturers to get
 > off their behinds and do something about it (just look at how long it
 > took Yaesu to remove CW keyclicks from their contest grade rigs).

Not only do we need to wait for the manufacturers to get off their
duff and do something about the wider than necessary FSK signals, then
we will need to wait for the existing inventory to age out of the ham
shacks.  How many "clicky" FT-1000D, FT-1000MP and FT-1000MP MKV
transceivers (and their Icom counterparts) are still in regular use
today even though they are 15, 20 even 30 years old?

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV