[RTTY] Getting rid of clicks--what's the risk?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sun Jan 20 23:39:34 EST 2013

Andy,

 > Keep in mind that this is an examination of the safeguards and
 > pitfalls in one particular model and does not represent any others,
 > but I think it does show that the risks of AFSK are not as universal
 > as some would have you believe.

The point is as you said, "this is an examinations of ... one
particular model and does not represent any others."

The "clean up" you see is due entirely to the Elecraft's unique AFSK
filter.  Before anyone can generalize those results to a wider range
of transceivers, please repeat the measurements on Yaesu FT-1000MP
and Icom 7600/765Pro-x *at a minimum* as examples of transceivers
most likely to be in a competitive contest station.

There is no need to also repeat the measurements on a 20 year old
FT-840 with a badly misaligned analog balanced modulator driven by
an "all knobs max" signal from an interface that hangs an unbuffered
diode detector directly across the output of the sound chip feeding
the dynamic microphone (<5 mV) input ... but it would be interesting
to show just what a segment of the RTTY community is *really* using.

An operator who knows what he's doing - and a great many RTTY DXers
and contesters fall in that category - can generate clean RTTY with
waveshaped AFSK.  However, many of them do not want to give up the
receive benefits of the RTTY mode on their transceivers.

In addition, there are many, many operators who simply do not know
any better.  They will run MMTTY without any AFSK output filtering;
they will not use good engineering practices when connecting an
AFSK interface.  To top it all off, many will purchase the cheapest
interface they can find, connect it to the mic and headphone jacks
of the transceiver and listen to the "experts" who say to run the
interface "all knobs to the right" making any adjustments only with
the transceiver's mic gain control.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV