[RTTY] Z6 Prefix

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Jan 24 10:17:43 EST 2013

> I am going to Kosovo again for CQ WW 160m CW after November event. I
> hope DXCC status would be resolved this year thru extensive EU
> negotiations.

The DXCC rules specify only two ways for a "political entity" to be
recognized by the program: 1) membership in the UN General Assembly
or 2) issuance of a callsign block by ITU.

As to the UN, the President of the 67th Session of the General Assembly
is Vuk Jeremic of Serbia who has stated that no attempt to consider
Kosovo for membership would be allowed. However, that may be moot as
Russia is likely to veto any application at the Security Council stage
before it can even reach the General Assembly.

To my understanding, the authorities in Pristina have not even *applied*
for a callsign block from ITU.  Given the number of "non-countries" and
other organizations that have received callsign blocks (and internet
domains), this would seem to be a mere formality.  The ITU
Secretary-General has the authority to make provisional assignments.

> Kosovo is recognized by almost 100 countries worldwide including
> USA, EU minus five countries with internal teritorial problems (5B,
> EA, OM, SV, YO) and all former YU republics except Serbia and Bosnia
> with strong Serbian half.

Kosovo is also recognized by the United States - see the US Department
of State's list of Independent States of the World:
    Http://www.state.gov/s/inr/rls/4250.htm

If you expect ARRL to accept Kosovo any time soon, DXAC and the Awards
Committee (Dave Patton, NN1N, Bill Moore, NC1L, and others) will need
to be convinced to add the DOS "Independent States" list to the rules
as an alternative to UN Membership just as the DOS "Dependencies and
Areas of Special Sovereignty" (www.state.gov/s/inr/rls/10543.htm) is
an alternative to the UN list of Non-Self-Governing Territories:
http://www.un.org/en/events/nonselfgoverning/nonselfgoverning.shtml

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV