[RTTY] AFSK Tips

Phil na4m at arrl.net
Sun Jan 27 12:08:12 EST 2013

On Jan 27, 2013, at 4:17 PM, "Dave Hachadorian" <k6ll at arrl.net> wrote:

> I am also considering going to AFSK, just to get rid of the K3's whacky power transients on FSK.  I am tired of seeing amplifier screen current jump all over the place.  It makes me nervous.

I was under the impression the K3's power fluctuations when transmitting FSK were mainly the result of the standard 2.7 kHz 5 pole roofing filter's considerable passband rolloff.

The optional 8 pole 2.8 kHz filter is much flatter.   KE7X's latest K3 book has a comparison of the two filters on page 13 where the difference is obvious.

73 Phil NA4M

Phil Duff
Georgetown, TX
http://priceless.apduff.com