[RTTY] ARRL issues Official Reply: Re 2.8KHz HF digital BW

Kai k.siwiak at ieee.org
Thu Jul 25 17:07:29 EDT 2013

Hi Chen
The Henning Harmuth story was really interesting. I've run into his works during
my tenure with Ultra Wideband and IEEE802 standards work. And folks worry here
about 2.8 kHz BW signals!  Thanks for the nice recollections.

We must remember that when radio started it was all wide band (spark) and was
called "wireless". Eventually spark was abolished, and wireless became narrow
band and was called "radio". Then came Armstrong who challenged "the narrowband
mantra" to give us the audio quality of wide band FM. Later, Qualcomm introduced
wide band digital spread spectrum, challenging the narrow band mantra once more.
Well, we have wide band (up to 40 MHz BW) CDMA now (in dedicated bands), and
"radio" has again become "wireless"!

Henning was right: wide and narrow don't mix very well, but remember that 2.8
kHz ain't really wide! Many already legally do around 2 kHz digital at HF with
currently authorized emissions (Pactor, Amtor) at HF. The proposal just ups that
to 2.8, and more importantly, gets rid of the baud rate limitations.

My CW will always get through, and we'll always have 170shift 45.45 baud ham-RTTY.

Thanks again, and 73
Kai, KE4PT