[RTTY] RTTY in FD

Adrian Engele aa5uk at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 4 09:02:04 EDT 2013

Ed,

I was operating from the K9MOT (Motorola Solutions ARC) club station last year. We decided to add RTTY and PSK31 for the first time in a long time. I was the only operator who operated RTTY. I found many stations on 15M, 20M and 40M during my afternoon shift. 10M was dead and I did not operate 80M.

I pretty much stayed with the known US RTTY sub bands. I typically started from the bottom and worked my way up in S&P. If I found a clear frequency then I would run for a while until the rates started slowing down to a crawl. Once I milked a band then I would move to the next higher band and do the same routine. S&P followed by running. I would say there was moderate activity, less than PSK31 but enough were repeats were few. Don't expect contest size congestion like CQWW RTTY or other contests. Most operators were skilled ops and very efficient.

We had fun and plan on operating RTTY again. I will give PSK31 a try but I know it will a zoo.

Give it a try and have fun! If you hear K9MOT, please give us a shout.

73, Adrian
AA5UK - ZF2AE