[RTTY] Not in log errors

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Jun 20 10:58:52 EDT 2013

 > most times the response will be 'QSL 599 002 002 W1XYZ'.

The problem would be resolved if the calling station would simply
replace QSL with your call - GW4SKA 599 004 004 W4TV or even
GW4SKA 599 004 004 TU.  QSL is not needed - replacing it with even
a long call adds less than one second to the length of the exchange
and using the second form is shorter for most calls.

Contest sponsors could assist by inserting language in their rules
requiring that *both calls be exchanged and acknowledged*.  In many
cases the S&P station *never* transmits (acknowledges) the call of
the station calling CQ:

 >  CQ TEST DE GW4SKA GW4SKA TEST
<  DE W4TV W4TV
 >  W4TV 599 002 002
<  TU 599 4 4 W4TV

  - it's impossible for the CQing station to know if the other station
got the call right.  The problem is getting worse thanks to those using
rig based memories with no keyboard (or paddles in the case of the K3)
since they never send the call of the CQing station.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 6/20/2013 9:55 AM, John GW4SKA wrote:
> That's good advice and should be part of normal good operating. It doesn't
> help when in run mode though. My CQ gets answered by W1XYZ, I send 'W1XYZ
> 599 001 001 ' and most times the response will be 'QSL 599 002 002 W1XYZ'. I
> have no way of knowing if he has logged my call correctly. Do I then ask him
> what call he has for me? No, he's already gone!
>
> It's just another example of balancing accuracy and rate; they will never
> both be optimum.
> John GW4SKA

>>> 7081 RY 2013-01-06 0104 N5UWY           OK VE3KI           ON
>>> 7084 RY 2013-01-06 0257 N5UWY           OK AA2DT           NY
>>> 7049 RY 2013-01-06 0721 N5UWY           OK G6PZ          0950