[RTTY] Not in log errors

Jim Preston jpreston1 at cox.net
Thu Jun 20 13:04:03 EDT 2013

Here's another example of how NIL happens.

I'm S&P in a contest where the exchange is already known, or can be done
from pre-fill.

W1XYZ: CQ TEST W1XYZ
ME: N6VH N6VH
W1XYZ: N6VH 599 [GIBBERISH]
ME: ? ?
W1XYZ: TU QRZ?

Since I didn't send my exchange, we did not have a valid QSO.

I go back to him and get B4.
I try calling him a few minutes later and get B4 again.
Since we didn't have a valid QSO, he is not in my log.

Incidentally, this actually happened in a recent contest.

73,

Jim N6VH

On 6/20/2013 6:55 AM, John GW4SKA wrote:
> That's good advice and should be part of normal good operating. It doesn't
> help when in run mode though. My CQ gets answered by W1XYZ, I send 'W1XYZ
> 599 001 001 ' and most times the response will be 'QSL 599 002 002 W1XYZ'. I
> have no way of knowing if he has logged my call correctly. Do I then ask him
> what call he has for me? No, he's already gone!
>
> It's just another example of balancing accuracy and rate; they will never
> both be optimum.
> John GW4SKA

>>> 7081 RY 2013-01-06 0104 N5UWY           OK VE3KI           ON
>>> 7084 RY 2013-01-06 0257 N5UWY           OK AA2DT           NY
>>> 7049 RY 2013-01-06 0721 N5UWY           OK G6PZ          0950