[RTTY] NA RTTY Sprint Saturday

Tim Richardson groupsrichart at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 23:23:13 EST 2013

WOW! My first time participating in the NA RTTY Sprint and it sure took
me a while to get my act together tonight.

The first thing I found out is that it's not real easy to rapidly QSY
and tune in another station using FSK mode and a 400 Hz filter. I can
only see one station at a time on the waterfall. I had never used AFSK
before, but quickly learned how and completed the contest in that mode.
It was much easier being able to see several stations on the waterfall
and being able to click on them to tune and let AFC take care of things.

Secondly, after participating in CQ WPX and the NAQP, I am more
convinced that Logger32 is not the right software to be using for a
contest other than for a casual effort. I found it a little clunky and
time consuming to log the exchange. And of course there is no way to
export a Cabrillo log which requires a little more effort on my part.

Altogether, it was a fun learning experience. I only managed to work 34
stations in 23 states and 1 province...mostly on 40 meters. I think my
next main effort will be to download N1MM logger and install it and
spend some time learning it in preparation for the next RTTY contest.
And then I need to work on getting my 80 meter dipole back in the trees.

Tim W4IOU