[RTTY] Message from NA-174

Adrian Engele aa5uk at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 10 14:19:18 EDT 2013

Hi David,

Having been on the other side of a pile up from the Cayman Islands and EA6, I know what you are going through.

Here is an excellent reference for you that may help:   http://www.arrl.org/files/file/DXCC/dx-basics.pdf

It is critical to work split 2 to 5 up typically and to take control of the pile-up. You must tell the pile up your intentions at every step  and adhere to your pile up management. If you let the pile up manage you then things get out of control quick and it will be difficult to keep things under control.  Keep your macros short and sweet. State often  you are working split say 2 to 5 up or what ever split you decide.  This will keep the DX cops somewhat off your back or people trying to work you simplex. Sometimes, pause for a minute or two and let the pile up settle down then come back up on the frequency.  Also moving to a different frequency unannounced helps too. Mix up your split movement, this keep operators guessing where you you will next if things get out of hand.

Try working operators by region to manage the pile-up. It also means knowing your current propagation to various regions. This way you can get some of the better DX out of the way. For example many JA's will work you quickly and politely. Then go back to Europe and work some of the aggressive operators to get them out of the way.

Have fun!   If you are not having fun then it is time to take a pause and come back later.

Just a few tips. I am sure you will hear from others on this forum!   Good luck and enjoy!  Nothing more fun than being on the other end of the pile up!

73, Adrian AA5UK - ZF2AE