[RTTY] RTTY Exchange question.

Hank Garretson w6sx at arrl.net
Thu Mar 14 16:27:34 EDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM, KU7Y <ku7y.cw at gmail.com> wrote:

I have a question about RTTY.

> I'll be giving the BARTG test a try this weekend.  I'll only be running
> QRP so will not be loud most of the time.
>
> I'm planning on sending the exchange as:
>
> 599 599 001 001 0235 0235 K
>
> Is that the best way to do it or should I end it with my call or his call?
>
> Or is there a better way?  I just don't want to slow others down.

Good questions Ron.

Ron sent his questions to me. I'm Cc:ing RTTY and N1MM Digital in case
others have the same questions.

Never repeat 599. You have to send it once because that's what the sponsors
specify. Anything more is a big-fat waste of time.

Do not send K (or BK or AR or ...). All you need is one space after the
0235 and then drop your carrier.

Do not send DE before your call.

If you are working a guy who has CQ'd, sending his call at the beginning of
your exchange is optional. I don't normally send his call unless there is
some question whom I'm working. But, it is optional, and many very good
operators do.

Again you don't need to send your call unless there is ambiguity.

Here's an example of a well-executed contact:

CQ BARTG W6SX W6SX CQ (with a space immediately after the last CQ before
carrier is dropped)

KU7Y KU7W (with a space immediately after the last KU7W before carrier is
dropped)

KU7Y 599 001 001 0235 0235 (with a space ...)

(W6SX) 599 001 001 0236 0236 (with a space ...) (The leading W6SX is
optional)

(KU7Y) TU W6SX CQ (if there is any question whom I just worked, I will send
KU7Y, otherwise, I normally don't, but lots of guys do.)

The closer everyone sticks to the above protocol, the smoother everything
goes and the more fun everyone has.

If asked for your number, send 001 001 001 and nothing else.

If asked for your time, send 0235 0235 0235 and nothing else.

If asked for your call send KU7Y KU7Y KU7Y and nothing else. Do not send
his call--he already knows it.

Never, never send 599 more than once in a contact.

If asked AGN, send 001 001 0235 0235 without repeating the useless 599.

For BARTG send 0035 for time, not 00:35 or some other variant. N1MM users
use macro {TIME2}

Work you all this weekend.

Diddle Exuberantly,

Hank, W6SX

Mammoth Lakes, California

Elevation 8083 feet in John Muir's Range of Light