[RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Fri Nov 22 15:46:41 EST 2013

On Nov 22, 2013, at 11:51 AM, Bill Turner wrote:

> I am a little surprised that no one has brought up the question of measuring
> bandwidth. We need to be careful what we ask for - we just might get it.

For everything related to radio regulations, always refer to the ITU.

http://life.itu.ch/radioclub/rr/art01.htm

Specifically, in relation to your question:

> 1.152     necessary bandwidth: For a given class of emission, the width of the frequency band which is just sufficient to ensure the transmission of information at the rate and with the quality required under specified conditions.
>
> 1.153     occupied bandwidth: The width of a frequency band such that, below the lower and above the upper frequency limits, the mean powers emitted are each equal to a specified percentage ß/2 of the total mean power of a given emission. Unless otherwise specified by the BR for the appropriate class of emission, the value of ß/2 should be taken as 0.5%.

I believe Kai had already mentioned the "0.5%" criterion a month or two ago.  I am just repeating it here in case people missed it.

73
Chen, W7AY