[RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat Nov 23 15:46:06 EST 2013

On 11/23/2013 1:41 PM, Michael Rapp wrote:

> Being fairly new to ham radio I may have mis-heard this, but the use
> case I keep hearing about in my local area is to send a large Excel
> spreadsheet over HF via Winlink to an served-agency email address in
> an emcomm situation.

The use case doesn't hold water ... there simply is no use of Winlink
for long distance HF communication during large scale emergencies.
The amateur communications - even in large scale emergencies - tend to
be conducted at VHF where 2.8 KHz bandwidths are already permitted
while the long distance communication is done via the *internet* and
other commercial circuits.  One need only look at the after action
reports from New Jersey ARES during "Hurricane" Sandy so see the most
recent confirmation of this *fact*.

The only place Winlink (and Pactor III/IV) makes any sense is with
the "Yachting" set and they're simply *abusing* amateur radio rather
than pay for satellite internet and/or expensive HF data services.
Such abuse represents *commercial use* of amateur radio and should
have been banned 30 years ago but it was like the boiling a frog -
the heat was turned up slowly (the abuses increased gradually enough
that those who raised the alarm about Winlink/Sailmail were easily
silenced and ignored (particularly when certain ARRL Directors and
officers are complicit in promoting Winlink/Sailmail).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV