[RTTY] Need to lawyer up for 60 meters

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 25 17:15:10 EST 2013

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 23:12:16 -0500, Kai wrote:

>Bill
>The FCC/NTIA want you to:
>(1) monitor the channel for possible upper SSB transmissions if you are to be
>told to stop.
>(2) The RTTY tones must be 1500 Hz +/- 85 Hz above the SSB rig dial frequency.
>
>That implies you should operate RTTY in AFSK mode with the rif set to upper SSB and
>with tones set to 1415 and 1585 Hz.
>Do you need specific details for using MMTTY that way? I had it was in QST Sept
>2013,
>technical correspondence.
>
>73
>Kai, KE4PT

REPLY:

You do make a good point about monitoring for SSB.

The big problem as I see it is the FCC 97.307 (14) (i) only authorizes four
modes for 60 meters:

2K80J3E        (phone)

2K80J2D        (data such as Pactor III)

60H0J2B        (what they call RTTY which includes PSK31)

150HA1A        (Morse CW)

So it seems that Baudot RTTY is allowed but only with a bandwidth of 60 Hz
or less. You might think that if a wideband mode such as Pactor III is
allowed,why not the much narrower Baudot RTTY?

I have no answer.  For now I will stick to PSK31 on 60 meters.

73, Bill W6WRT