[RTTY] Director response

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Nov 26 17:11:45 EST 2013

> The CURRENT regs already have that "unspecified code" language in
> 97.307. The ARRL proposal does not have a "drafting error".

That is *incorrect*.  97.307(f)(3) currently says:

(3) Only a RTTY or data emission using a specified digital code listed
in §97.309(a) of this part may be transmitted. The symbol rate must not
exceed 300 bauds, or for frequency-shift keying, the frequency shift
between mark and space must not exceed 1 kHz.

ARRL would change that to:

(23) A RTTY or data emission using a specified digital code listed in
§97.309(a) of this part may be transmitted. A RTTY, data or multiplexed
emission using an unspecified digital code under the limitations listed
in §97.309(b) of this part also may be transmitted

The ARRL is adding unspecified digital codes *not currently authorized*
in 97.307(f)(3).  *Read Part 97 and ARRL's Petition*.

As a point of fact *unspecified* digital codes are not permitted at
MF/HF - sections 97.307(f)(3) and 97.307(f)(4) do not authorize them
but sections 97.307(f)(5), 97.307(f)(6), and 97.307(f)(7) *authorize*
"unspecified digital codes" at VHF/UHF/microwave.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV