[RTTY] Error in RM-11708

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Wed Nov 27 09:30:03 EST 2013

On 11/27/2013 3:23 AM, Don Hill AA5AU wrote:
 > Joe, you are absolutely correct in the definition of "data" in FCC
 > rules.  It's hard to believe that by definition "data" is actually
 > defined as having 500 Hz bandwidth limit and no one ever noticed it
 > until Joe just discovered it. There has to be some exception as
 > to why Pactor 3 and other modes exceeding 500 Hz are in existence
 > today on HF.

If there is another section that specifically permits bandwidths
beyond 500 Hz for "computer communications," I hope someone will
provide a reference - and not base their argument on the weak
justification on /Mark Miller/ which spoke to changing the rules
not *enforcing* existing rules.

I can believe that nobody noticed the existing limit as ARRL is correct
in that there are no explicit limitations on data in 97.307 although
there are implicit limits based on shift and baud rate.  Other than
97.3(c)(2), the only explicit bandwidth limit on data modes is the one
in 97.221 related to "automatic operation" outside the subbands. One
would not necessarily look to the definition for emission standards but
they are there for both modulation types and bandwidth.

 > What's the catch????

As far as I can tell, the only argument would be that the "500 Hz"
language applies only to those modulation designators having 'C'
as the third character (i.e., Facsimile [still images]) but that
is a stretch.

I hope that others opposed to this spectrum grab will file comments
soon.  As of this morning the Winlink sympathizers (maritime radio
users, Winlink developers, etc.) strongly outnumber the number of
"no wideband" comments

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV