[RTTY] What are the best K3 filters for digital use?

iw1ayd - Salvatore Irato iw1ayd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 14:32:48 EST 2013

Hi Dave et all.
In my short experience with the K3 I still use the 250 Hz and the 400 Hz
8 poles filters.

BTW Dave I assume you mean RTTY for speaking of digital usage, for other
DIGITAL modes, including CW as JT65, there are different criteria and
choices.

The 200 Hz "roofing" even kicked in at some  wider frequency is
definitively too tied, not useful for RTTY IMHO.

The 400 Hz and the 250Hz 8 oles will suffice. If I have to buy only one
I would buy the 400 Hz, but not for contesting.

They are respectively tailored at 500 Hz and at 350 Hz. I mean that the
kick in of the "roofing" filters is at those frequencies of the DSP
filters intervention.

When RUNning in RTTY contests I use at first a 800 Hz DSP filters on
arrive, just to be sure that I have nobody near more than that, +/- 400
Hz. Then, when somebody get too near my RUN QRG I kick in the 500 Hz,
via a CAT command. The  last 350Hz cut, more tightened by hands if in
needs but not that much, is used when the nearby signals are getting too
near. This  may happened too often since the latest production firmware
for the K3. The TX FSK signal is definitively right tied now, but too
tight for all those that have theirs FSK/AFSK signals still too wide and
good RX filters ;-( ...
S&P is done on crowded bands at 500 Hz with the help of the right SPAN
onto P3. In not congestionated bands even the 800 Hz is enough, if you
don't get too much near to a much large signal out of the one you are
searching for - listened or viewed.

DXing is the same beast, still having single receiver inside my K3, I
use almost the same tight filters but I have also a more larger CAT
defined filters, to search the DX when it spotted with a casual QRG.
When searching by myself a use the 1800 Hz filter.
It maybe that having a second receiver and attempting to catch the by
now responder, when in a pile up, a something more wide filter than
300/500 Hz is needed. But I have not experience at all for it. Just
doing VFO reverse with the help of the P3 is already somewhat helpful
for me. But this practice is becoming  not useful with multiple streams
decoder in use by the DX.
Last but not least. Even if the 8 poles filters are advertised as
centered in the MF I moved a little bit all the 4 filters in the two K3
I own. Just empirically the waterfall of MMTTY wasn't centered around
tones that much, just an hair was enough.

With the 800 Hz tailoring, or the 1000 Hz tailoring at home, DSP slices
as the kick in filter here is a 1800 Hz, the AGC is pumping a lot with
strong nearby signals, judging on the waterfall saturation and ears.

There are much more experienced operators than me here that could add
more or correct me.

   73 de iw1ayd Salvo

PS the only way to use DUAL FB, that work for any couple of tones and be
arranged itself by the bandwidth control, is with the tied filter you
have, the 350 Hz cut of the 250 Hz is critical but quite good to listen
those elusive DX signals. Unfortunately multiple demodulator loose half
of their brightest capacities to decode when used with a tied filter and
DUAL FB. But this is a know factor,  no way to eliminate this  side
effect under some circumstances.