[RTTY] Contest Courtesy--A Different Take

Hank Garretson w6sx at arrl.net
Wed Oct 2 11:46:07 EDT 2013

My take on contest courtesy is a bit different from what has recently been
espoused on the RTTY list. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I
hope that everyone will consider my approach.

It’s a contest and a prime objective is to maximize score. It’s a contest
and a prime objective is to have fun. It’s a contest and a prime objective
is to help others have fun and maximize their scores. We’re all in this
together, and we can all do a lot to help each other maximize score and
have fun.

What’s the best way to be friendly and courteous? My rule for contests is
that completing the contact in shipshape fashion as quickly as possible is
the most friendly thing I can do for the other guy and for the other guys
waiting. And, it’s the most friendly thing you can do for me. DE's, UR's,
NR's, extra spaces, dots, commas, sending 599 more than once, extra TU's,
sending names, etcetera--all detract from everyone's fun.

Here's my idea of a shipshape RTTY contact.

CQ TEST W6SX W6SX CQ
N3RC N3RC
N3RC 599 03 CA
W6SX 599 04 MT
N3RC TU W6SX CQ

N3RC does not need to send TU to me. By sending his exchange, N3RC
acknowledges that he got my info OK and that he has all he needs. My
preference is that he not send TU--Roger can thank me after the contest.

To end the contact, I send TU to N3RC to acknowledge receipt of his
exchange and to tell the world that I'm ready for the next caller. I could
just as well send R, QSL, CFM, 73, 88, or Aloha.

It’s a contest--be contest friendly during the event and regular friendly
afterwards.

After all the above, I'm grateful for every single contact--keep 'em
coming.

73,

Hank, W6SX