[RTTY] My first RTTY contest

Michael Rapp mdrapp at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 12:51:37 EDT 2013

Thanks for the warm welcome all!

And yep, I am using N1MM....thanks to Don and his wonderful site for
getting me up and running.  Back in May, I was doing AFSK but the wide
bandwidth allowing adjacent signals to come in made copying difficult.  I
then bought and built a W3YY FSK interface for my FT-950 and it made all
the difference in the world being able to use the FT-950's narrow filters
during CQ WW.

I kept it on 500 Hz for most of the contest, but when an adjacent signal
started to interfere, I'd dial it down to 400 Hz or even 300 Hz and copy
was much better.  (Also, I noticed that in MMTTY the amplitude of the
signal increased when I used a narrower filter...so the FT-950 must be
doing some amplification of the signal as the filter gets narrower.)

I downloaded 2Tone last night and set it up as a secondary receive window
(again, following Don's excellent instructions.)   I spent a lot of time
early on in the contest watching the exchanges that seemed the most
efficient to me and modeled my macros after those (and I'm happy that they
turned out nearly identical to the example Hank used in the Courtesy
thread).  Now I'm playing with various N1MM window arrangements.

73,

/*/-=[Michael]-=/*/