[RTTY] Courtesy

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Fri Oct 4 01:19:42 EDT 2013

I agree, Jeff.  Applying the definition of "courteous" in a rag-chewing
environment is inappropriate in a contesting environment.  Contesters are
not discourteous because they pursue the contest objectives.  When I work my
close buddies in a contest and simply swap contest exchanges, they are not
offended because we don't abandon the contest for a prolonged and
"courteous" QSO.  Instead, they are delighted to exchange efficient contest
exchanges which we both consider "courteous" given the contest situation.
"Courtesy" is situational dependent.

That said, it is often useful to encourage a casual contest participant
rather than bowling over them with a rapid-fire contest exchange.  Being
sensitive to the moment and dynamically adjusting one's response is the mark
of a great contester.

73,
Ed - W0YK
Ed Muns