[RTTY] A thought on FSK timing

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat Sep 21 21:40:38 EDT 2013

> There are more than a handful of people with strange or varying stop
> bits, including many big-gun contesters. My hunch is that this is a
> result of MMTTY's "pacing" not being completely stable or accurate in
> some systems or configurations out there in the wild, but maybe it's
> something else.

I suspect you are seeing the effect of having the MMTTY "Char. Wait"
and or "Diddle Wait" sliders (Setup MMTTY | TX) other than at full
left.  Note:  "Char. Wait" and "Diddle Wait" extend the stop bit
(time) between characters and/or before starting diddles if MMTTY
is still in transmit and the buffer is empty.  Note: "Char. Wait"
and "Diddle Wait" *also* effect character timing in AFSK.

One should not need MMTTY's pacing with an 8250 compatible UART
("serial port") - particularly is the UART transmit FIFO is turned
off in Windows Device Manager - and pacing is not an issue with
EXTFSK since that driver paces based on the 22/33 msec bit length
- not the 165 ms character length - although the windows timer and
USB latencies can result in (measured) bit length errors of up to
+/- 2 ms at 45.45 baud.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV