[RTTY] To DE or not to DE

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 25 00:08:53 EDT 2013

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 11:22:55 -0700, Hank wrote:

>Here are some tips that will make everyone's weekend more fun.

REPLY:

A few subtleties for those who are millisecond counters:

1. Don't use ? in your macros. QTH QTH is just as clear as QTH? QTH?
Likewise NR NR or AGN AGN and it sends faster because it doesn't have to
send the FIGS shift character before the ?.

2. Don't send QRZ? either. Almost always CQ is more appropriate and faster
for the same reasons as above. QRZ? means "who is calling me" and in the
cases when you actually mean that it is faster to just send AGN (without a
question mark).

3. If you are asked for a repeat, don't send your whole exchange. Have two
macros available, one for your zone: 03 03 03 03 03 03 and one for your
state: CA CA CA CA CA CA. I like to repeat each exchange six times. Don't
include your call or anything else. He knows who you are.

4. We all get flustered at times and have to erase or re-type something.
Have a macro that sends QRX QRX QRX. This will make the other station pause
while you fix things, rather than send his info again. Saves doubling and
confusion.

5. Use AutoHotKey to configure your mouse wheel to do things. I have mine
set so that rolling it away sends ENTER (if you are an N1MM user), rolling
it toward me sends GRAB, and clicking the right button sends AGN AGN.  Some
mice can do things by pushing down on the wheel but I haven't thought of a
use for that yet. Use your imagination.

Have fun, hope to see you this weekend!

73, Bill W6WRT