[RTTY] Improving To DE or not to DE

Hank Garretson w6sx at arrl.net
Sun Sep 29 22:19:05 EDT 2013

A particularly annoying example:

> Late this afternoon a few rare (for this contest) zones popped up - 12
> Chile and 7 Costa Rica.  The pileups are pure QRM anyway, but a number of
> callers decided that it was a good idea to send the called station twice,
> DE, then their call three times.TI9GGG TI9GGG DE ID10T ID10T ID10T.

You know, we are all part of the problem. Or at least we can all help
improve things.

Most of the behavior described is by hams who don’t know better, who
haven’t been mentored or taught. Shoot, most of the time they don’t even
know they're doing something wrong.

I sometimes send gentle emails to hams suggesting that they will have more
success and fun if they do it better.

In many cases, I get grateful I-didn’t-know-that return emails. More
satisfying, often I work a guy later and he’s doing it better.

Grousing on the list and wringing our hands doesn't make things better. Be
part of the solution. Send some gentle emails.

Diddle Exuberantly,

Hank, W6SX