[RTTY] Contest Hints

Tom Haavisto kamham69 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 10:40:12 EDT 2013

Hi Rex

First and foremost, I appreciate every QSO.  Even from a newbie who is
making every mistake you can think of.  After all, we were all newbies once
(more than once for some of us).

A few weeks ago, I had changed computers and was setting up MMTTY.  Calling
folks and getting no response - even from loud guys.  Yup - I was off
frequency and needed some help getting it fixed.  I also had an idea what
the problem was after a few tries, realized I was doing something wrong and
asked for help to get it fixed.  It would be very frustrating for a newbie,
but not easy to explain the fix on RTTY...  I had to smile as I recognized
that one at the start of this thread.

By pointing out newbie problems, we are not standing in judgement - rather
- the hope is some of these folks will say "Hey - I didn't know that was
was not a good idea,  Now I know, and won't do that again."

As for the /QRP issue I commented on, a contester at Dayton shared the
following thought:  When someone signs /QRP on phone or CW (and now RTTY as
well), its like they are saying "HEY - I am running QRP.  I am not putting
much RF into my antenna, so you need to listen harder!"  It doesn't work
that way.  By making their call longer, they are making me work harder, for
no reason.  The QRP folks need to make my job easier by making their call
*shorter*!  Leave off the /QRP, and my job of pulling out your complete
call (that conveys needed information) just got easier, not harder.

Is the person on the other end running QRP, low power or high power?  I
really don't care.  Just put enough RF into your antenna to make the trip
to my ears.
Make the job for the guy on the other end easier, not harder, and everyone
is happy.

I don't know if you were signing /QRP or not, but as a courtesy to all
contesters, please pass the word along that signing /QRP in a contest is a
BAD idea regardless of mode.

Tom - VE3CX