[RTTY] Contest Hints

Tom Haavisto kamham69 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 15:34:19 EDT 2013

There is a number of issues with having /QRP as part of a call.

When I import the contest log into my personal log, it messes up any award
chasing I am doing.  /QRP is not a country.  So I need to strip it out.
For LOTW, it requires an EXACT match for a call.  Adding /P, /M, /QRP etc.
is going to cause problems - it will fail to match the record if something
is appended.
For the same reason, the contest sponsor is also going to have to do some
cleanup work on submitted logs before they can do score processing.  I do
understand for QSO parties, it is common practice to append their county to
their call.  This is a different issue.

As a personal comment - I don't get the logic behind signing /QRP.  Should
I append /QRO to my call to indicate I am running high power?  Should EVERY
station append /QRO, /QRP or /QRL to their call to indicate their TX power
level?  If its a good idea, everyone should be doing it.  Why is it a good
idea for only some folks, and why only some QRP folk?
To me, a contest means putting the maximum number of QSO's in the log in a
given period of time.  Making your call longer means I need to copy more
characters to figure out who they are.  I also need to clean up the persons
call either during the contest of after.  This really makes it stand out
that the person really, really does not know any better, and my hope it
that they will please, please STOP making MY life more difficult.

If folks want to run QRP, more power to them (no pun intended).  I really
don't care, just as they don't care that I am running high power.  I just
don't appreciate the extra effort that they cause (unintentionally I'm
sure), but it is extra effort on my part for the simple reason that folks
don't realize they are causing a problem.  My hope by raising this issue
this newbie mistake that it will stop happening,  Instead, it seems to be
getting worse :-(

Just my take on things.

Tom - VE3CX