[RTTY] The /qrp thing

Dave Barr recordupe at verizon.net
Mon Sep 30 16:22:03 EDT 2013

I agree with Tom - never use "/qrp", although in minor non-contest
pileups it might work to get the attention of a soft-hearted op in ssb
or cw.  Other than when chasing a RTTY new one, I have been running
unidentified qrp in all operating including contests since about 2000,
and am bothered enough by my making accurate contest exchange copy
sometimes difficult without the added burden of an extra length call.
At a repeat request rate of around one out of 10 to 15 qsos, qrp is a
good opportunity to experience the patience of almost all effected
contesters who seem not to mind repeats.  A big thank you to them, and
also to CQ for having a qrp category in two of the most popular RTTY
contests.   Now to work on the ARRL...

73, Dave, K2YG