[RTTY] Is it just me?

James Douglass ac0e at odsgc.net
Tue Apr 15 09:08:59 EDT 2014

All,

Is it just me or what.
  The largest growth area in amateur radio is digital modes and RTTY in
particular. RTTY contest weekends are seeing more and more activity and
new call signs scrolling across my screen.

The ARRL has this winter has created a firestorm among the digital
community with RM -11708. To top this off the RTTY Forum at the Dayton
Hamvention, which would bring together a large group of dedicated RTTY
operators in the same room and hierarchy of ARRL in the same building,
is cancelled. This is very odd to me and smells very much like ARRL
pressure on the Hamvention people.
Occam's Razor immediately comes to my mind.

"when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same
predictions, the simpler one is the better."

That the ARRL knows they have a big PR problem on their hands and it is
gaining momentum and they are in damage control trying limit decent on
this issue and marginalize those who are vocal (in this case us) critics
of their actions.

ARRL Forum did not get cancelled as far as I know.

Looking forward to seeing many of you at the RTTY Dinner this year. I
have my tickets... do you have yours?

73 - Jim AC0E
ARRL Life Member 8209245