[RTTY] Please file your comments with RM-11708 with teh FCC and your ARRL Director

Kai k.siwiak at ieee.org
Wed Apr 16 11:42:05 EDT 2014

Terry
Under current FCC rules, the 300 baud limit does NOT limit bandwidth except for
two-tone
RTTY signals. Note for example that PACTOR-3 occupies 2.2 kHz and uses a baud rate
of 100. There is no BW limit for non-FSK signaling (like PACTOR-3).  The 300
baud limit
does not stop 2.2 kHz wide PACTOR-3.
PACTOR-3 does not use "two-tones" so the 1 kHz FSK limit does not apply. It occupies
2.2 kHz.  That is the TRUE situation today, which RM-11708 leverages to argue for a
bandwidth limit, as in "we don't understand". It is OK to remove the baud rate
limit since
it doesn't limit BW of non-FSK modulations. But what is NOT OK is the 2800 Hz limit,
like "the ARRL do not understand this."

For two-tone RTTY, the limits are 300 baud AND 1 kHz maximum tone separation,
so the maximum permitted band width is 300+1.2*1000 = 1500 Hz. Amateur RTTY,
what we we all use today occupies 45.45+1.2*170 = 250 Hz.

Watch out for the deceptive part of RM-11708. Today there is indeed NO bandwidth
limit
in the CW/digital band segments, and yes, RM-11708 would impose a limit of 2800 Hz.
Now the deceptive part:  The effect will be to enable PACTOR-4 which also
has a 2.2-2.4 BW (depending on what you use for your source material), but
operates at a much
higher baud rate. The ARRL are right but deceptive. There is no BW limit now,
but the deception
is that a BW limit as high as 2800 Hz will devastate the incumbent  fragile
narrow band digital modes
such as PSK31, JT65, J9. and amateur-RTTY.

The correct arguments to make are:
(1) Remove the archaic 300 baud language AND
(2) take ALL that occupy more than (for example) 500  Hz (digital and
analog)ABOVE the CW/digital
boundary.
That is, put them in the "phone sections" of the bands where there are already
wide band digital and
analog signals like ATV, HF-D-STAR, and AM.

It becomes regulation by bandwidth, but that is the right thing to do. We's
still have to contend with
PACTOR-1 and others that occupy less than 500 Hz, but in my opinion, that is
manageable.

Wide and narrow band digital mode just do not mix well in the same spectrum.

73
Kai, KE4PT