[RTTY] New Winlink usage

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Apr 22 18:28:10 EDT 2014

> So when station WD#??? calls RMS AA#?? then who is actually causing
> the interference? Well let's see if my old thinking is correct or not
> --- I think it would be the station that initiated the call to the
> RMS.

No *BOTH* stations are responsible for the interference - particularly
when the RMS system operator does not set his modem to enforce the
PACTOR 2 limit - keeping bandwidth less than 500 Hz - and the modems
automatically upshift to 2.4 KHz bandwidth.  Such behavior happens
*ALL THE TIME* and many RMS even *advertise* PACTOR 3 support outside
the "automatic control" sub=bands.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV