[RTTY] proliferation of multi-tone emissions

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at wildblue.net
Wed Apr 30 12:56:37 EDT 2014

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On 4/30/2014 4:58 AM, Jim AC0E wrote:
> All,
> I love my P3 and it has changed the way I operate. That is the good news.
> The bad news is I now see quite clearly the infection of the bands
> with multi-tone carrier systems sprouting up like weeds
> in many more places in the past six or so months. Many times if a
> station is working split I notice one of the nasty little devils
> conveniently close to the station's QSX frequency. But then perhaps I
> am just imagining this 8-)
>  73 - Jim AC0E

REPLY:

For a long time I h ave thought there are way too many digital modes.
Everybody and his brother invents a new mode and then creates a dozen
versions of it with different baud rates and bandwidths. Many of these
modes are very good at what they do but on the receiving end, trying to
figure out what you're hearing is too much trouble for a lot of folks.
Yes, I know about the RSID identifier but most people don't use it. Just
the fact that somebody had to create it proves my point.

I'm sure that is the main reason RTTY, PSK31 and JT65 are so popular.
When you hear them, they are easy to identify by ear and there is only
only one version, with rare exceptions such as the 75 baud RTTY contest.

I have spent hours calling CQ using Olivia, Contestia and other modes
with almost zero results. Using the above three modes, contacts are
plentiful.

For what it's worth.

73, Bill W6WRT