[RTTY] ARRL Bandplan Committee report online

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 16:41:28 EDT 2014

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/About%20ARRL/Committee%20Reports/2014/July/Doc_23.pdf

> Over 400 comments were received.  Their next step is to create a strawman
proposal.  It
> is interesting that BOD decided to push the creation of Tech digital sub
band ahead of this.

``2. Many comments were raised about what some believe is growing
interference from automated unattended transmissions, such as used for
mailbox type operations. Numerous comments stated that there is a
proliferation of unmanned email “robots” and such transmissions often cause
interference to narrow band mode users. *Some feel that unattended digital
stations should be placed in a separate defined sub-band.* ''

Really?  OK, then here's my proposed rule:

*§97.221   Automatically controlled digital station.(a) This rule section
does not apply to an auxiliary station, a beacon station, a repeater
station, an earth station, a space station, or a space telecommand station.
(b) A station may be automatically controlled while transmitting a RTTY or
data emission on the 6 m or shorter wavelength bands, and on the
28.120-28.189 MHz, 24.925-24.930 MHz, 21.090-21.100 MHz, 18.105-18.110 MHz,
14.0950-14.0995 MHz, 14.1005-14.112 MHz, 10.140-10.150 MHz, 7.100-7.105
MHz, or 3.585-3.600 MHz segments. *

You really have to wonder who gets on these committees ...